The Facts About Dog’s Enemy Fleas And How To Prevent Them
It is an adage, “keep your friends close and enemies closer.” Since fleas are the best-known foe of dogs, it should be your priority to have a complete knowledge about fleas. If you got an understanding of the flea development and their attacks, you can easily command on it and protect your pet from these maddening parasites. Preventive treatments of fleas for dogs come in various styles. Always chose the one that suits your pet the best. Veterinarian guidance can also prove to be very beneficial.
Facts About Dog’s Fleas and Flea Infestations
Some significant points about fleas:
- Flea has 4 life stages – egg, larva, pupa and adult flea.
- Some dogs develop allergies due to flea saliva commonly known as Flea Allergy Dermatitis (FAD).
- Fleas can be checked and found on dogs using a flea comb.
- Fleas feed on the blood of their hosts.
- A flea can live up to 100 days without feeding on a blood meal.
- The pets on which the fleas reside can develop tapeworms, anemia and intense itching spots.
- According to a study, in the continent USA, the Cat flea is responsible for nearly all the fleas that are found residing on cats and dogs.
- They are wingless parasites that have great jumping skills.
After knowing some facts about these icky fleas, let us know how they affect your precious pets. There are a number of symptoms that directly point towards the presence of fleas on the dogs. Some signs are as follows:
Symptoms Of Fleas on Dogs
- Excessive scratching, licking and biting
- Hair loss
- Pale gums
- Flea dirt on dog’s coat or skin
- Redness of the skin
To prevent your dog from attack of the fleas, the medical field has done a lot of research and landed in the market with various efficient products. These treatments ensure a flea-free and a healthy life for your dog. Usage of the treatment varies with the convenience and the effectiveness on the pooch.
Effective Treatment of Fleas on Dogs
Certain treatments that might be useful for your dog’s safety are:
1. Frontline Products – Frontline Plus, Frontline Spray, Frontline Top Spot; they are a few treatments that are widely used by the pet parents. A trusted brand Merial, is the manufacturer of these products which ensures full protection for the dogs from the icky parasites i.e. fleas.
2. Advantage for dogs – It is one of the fastest working treatments for dogs that provides them relief from fleas. It stops flea bites within 3 – 5 minutes of administration and kills adult fleas and larvae in about 20 minutes. Advantage for dogs is an effective spot-on solution that also controls the outbreak of Flea Allergy Dermatitis.
3. Bravecto – Bravecto is a tasty chew that kills fleas and prevents flea infestations for 12 weeks. It has a fast mode of action and is a reliable long lasting treatment. You can start the treatment with b=Bravecto chews at any time of the year. In areas where fleas are a common sight on a year-round basis, this treatment needs to be continued for the complete year without stopping.
[tags_all_in_one number=”20″ smallest=”12″ largest=”24″ unit=”px” separator=” , ” orderby=”name” order=”asc” post=”true”]