Intestinal Parasitic Infection in Cats – Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
What, Why and How? : Cat’s Intestinal Worms Manual
What are Intestinal Worms in Cats?
Cats are lovely creatures who live their life gracefully and tend to groom themselves as well. Intestinal worms are the worst kind of parasites that can affect your feline friend’s health.
Parasitic infections can cause deadly diseases in cats. Its severity depends on the cause of the infection in felines. It can cause serious disease in kittens, sick cats or cats with suppressed immune system.
Some worms are visible to our naked eyes while others are not. Those, which are not visible to naked eyes are called microscopic worms and are tested by examining the pets.
How do they cause Infections?
Reasoning about what happened and why it happened is very important. So knowing about the cause of the infection guides you to proper treatment of the cause and helps in preventing it in the future and providing proper treatment.
1. By ingesting eggs
Cats can ingest eggs of these worms which are microscopic. They can lick on grounds where they may have defecated like grass, yards, lawns and any open place where they may even take a walk. Ingestion of eggs lets the worms enters the body of the cat and infect them.
2. By birth
Sometimes, the kitten when born might have inherited the intestinal worm infections from her mother.
3. From immediate host
Some parasites carry infection from one host to another like when your cats swallows a flea or a tick accidentally.
What are the possible Symptoms of Intestinal Parasites in Cats?
The various symptoms of intestinal parasites found in cats are:
- Weight Loss
- Skin lesions
How to treat and prevent your beloved Kitten from these Worms?
Like every ailment has a cure, worms do too. Several methods for treatment of parasites exists. Even a number of preventatives are also available that helps the feline owners at a great extent. Listing out some points, which includes both medicinal and home remedies, will help you in taking care of your furry feline now.
1. Antezole Liquid Suspension : It is an oral suspension used for the treatment of roundworms and hookworms in cats and kittens. It is convenient to use as it tastes good.
2. Antezole Paste : It prevents ascarids, hookworms and tapeworms in cats as it is essential to de-worm the pets in every 3 months. It effectively controls gastrointestinal infections.
3. Popantel : Popantel all wormer tablets are used for the treatment of all kinds of worms present in the stomach. It is a broad spectrum treatment that eliminates all the present worms in a single dosage.
4. Consumption of raw pumpkin seeds : Pumpkin seeds are capable of treating hookworms and tapeworms. With 1tsp per 10lbs of body weight dosage given daily can clear out all the worms from the intestinal tract. Pumpkin seeds are also a great source of zinc, vitamin A and proteins.
5. Consumption of garlic powder and apple cider vinegar : Garlic has antiseptic and anti-bacterial qualities which can cure almost all the ailments in the pets. In cats, it is used to de-worm from all the intestinal parasites. The effect is elevated with the use of apple cider vinegar. Adding 2 drops of apple cider vinegar in the water, after fasting of the cat and adding garlic in powder form in their food ensures eradication of all the parasites from the stomach.
6. Consumption of turmeric : Turmeric is known all over the world for its advantages. Not only its beneficial for humans but also for pets. It has anti-inflammatory properties which aids in any swelling caused due to intestinal parasites and lessens any sort of discomfort in the cats. Depending on the weight of the cat, add turmeric powder to their food and mix it well. Do it on a regular basis.