Heartworm Preventions for Dogs: Heartgard Vs Sentinel Vs Revolution
Heartworms in dogs is a disease that is transmitted via a mosquito. The mosquito is infected by Dirofilaria Immitis and carries its larval, which is passed onto the dog. Once the larvae grow into adult heartworms, its prevention becomes useless and other forms of treatment are applied on the dog then. However, various treatments and heartwormers can kill the immature or larval stages of heartworm thus protecting the pooch.
In this article today, we are going to compare 3 highly known and famous heartwormers for dogs: Heartgard Plus, Revolution and Sentinel.
- Heartworm preventive medication. It is effective against immature stages of heartworms i.e. heartworm larvae that is transferred into the pet’s body via a mosquito
- Aids in the treatment of various gastrointestinal worms like hookworms and roundworms
- Beef flavored chew
- Monthly treatment
- Safe for pregnant dogs
- For dogs and puppies above 6 weeks of age
- Active ingredients: Ivermectin and Pyrantel Pamoate
- Ivermectin is an anti-parasitic compound present in Heartgard Plus that prevents heartworm infections in the dogs.
- Pyrantel Pamoate on the other hand works against in eliminating hookworms and roundworms efficiently
- Manufacturer: Merial
- Eliminates adult fleas and its immature stages as well hence, destroying the entire flea life cycle
- Destroys intestinal worms like roundworms and hookworms
- Prevents heartworms.
- Effective against sarcoptic mange and ear mites
- Treats and controls ticks thereby reducing the chances of tick-borne diseases to infect the dogs
- Revolution for Dogs provides monthly protection to the pooches
- Suitable for dogs and puppies above 6 weeks of age
- Safe to be applied on breeding dogs and nursing females
- Spot-on topical treatment that is applied according to the size of the dog
- Waterproof treatment
- For small and medium dogs, one spot between the shoulder blades is enough. For larger dogs, 3 to 4 spots across the backbone until the base of the tail are required.
- Active ingredient: Selamectin
- Selamectin is a multiple parasitic killer that dissolves in the bloodstream and efficiently eliminates all the external and internal parasites by paralyzing their nervous system
- Manufacturer: Pfizer
- Heartworm Controller
- Works efficiently against gastrointestinal parasites like adult hookworms, adult roundworms and whipworms
- Protects the dogs by preventing development of flea eggs and prevents flea re-infestations
- Sentinel Monthly oral treatment
- Suitable for dogs and puppies above 4 weeks of age
- Safe to be administered on pregnant and nursing females
- Palatable in taste, so readily accepted by dogs
- Active Ingredient: Milbemycin Oxime and Lufenuron
- Milbemycin Oxime is a component that prevents heartworm in dogs by killing off its larval stages. It also acts against adult forms of intestinal worms thus, protecting the dogs. Lufenuron is an insect growth regulator that stops the development of flea eggs
- Manufacturer: Novartis
The 3 medications that we read about has their own safety rules and regulations. A few tips include, proper reading of the direction label and the box, keeping it away from the reach of children and pets and storing the pack at the room temperature.
All the treatments are best-sellers and efficient enough in their work. It depends on the kind of use and requirement and price range what you want to buy.
Get To Know More
With the all-new Revolution Plus for cats hitting the markets, feline parents that…. Read More
Revolution is one of the topmost flea and tick treatment for dogs…. Read More